SPRAY TAN: Preparation and aftercare advice:
- If you are taking medication please inform your therapist (this will not necessarily prevent you from receiving a spray tan.
- Do not use any other self-tan products week before your spray tan!
- Wax or shave at least 24 hours prior to your spray tan.
- On the day of your appointment DO NOT wear any make up, deodorant, perfume, body oils or lotions as these may react with the tanning agents in the tanning liquids.
- Wear sandals and flip flops.
Relax whilst a professional therapist guides you through your spray tan. First the therapist will ask you to wear sticky soles these temporarily adhere to the soles of your feet. These will stop your feet discolouring. The therapist will then apply a barrier cream if needed to severely dry areas, elbows knees, hands and feet to ensure that the tan blends naturally.
Your tan will then be applied.
The whole process will take an average of 10 minutes. After which we recommend that you wait a few minutes to allow the tan to absorb into the skin before dressing.
The initial tan that you will see is the cosmetic guide colour.
Immediately after your spray tan:
- Wear loose, dark clothing
- keep skin completely dry, avoid water contact
- do not apply any products over the developing tan
- Allow tan to develop for 8-12 hours
- Avoid other beauty and hair treatments whilst tan is developing
- Avoid activities that make you perspire.
- Drink hot beverages through a straw as contact from a hot cup can strip colour from around your mouth/ Toothpaste can also strip colour while your tan develops.
After your tan has developed:
- Rinse off your remaining guide colour with warm/ hot water, once the water runs clear gently wash with a mild soap.
- avoid products that contain alpha hydroxyl acids (AHA’s) as they can strip colour
- Avoid swimming pools as chlorine will prematurely fade your tan.
- To prolong your tan apply an oil free moisturiser daily to lock in colour. This will also hydrate your skin.